All persons requesting transportation must be registered members of the Ellington Senior Center and reside in Ellington.
Contact the Transportation Department to request a complete Transportation Packet: 860-870-3137
Ellington Medical Appointments Transportation Services (EMATS) provides transportation for non-emergency medical appointments.
Transportation services began in 2001 for social programs. In 2003, transportation services expanded to provide rides to residents for medical appointments under our EMATS program. EMATS is partially funded by a grant received by North Central Area Agency on Aging (NCAAA).
"Funded in part, by the Older American's Act."
Hours, Scheduling, & Fees
Hours & Scheduling
Transportation Line: 860-870-3137
Monday: 8:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Tuesday-Thursday: 8:30 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Transportation Services are offered 5 days a week for social activities and medical appointments. Please call to request your "Transportation Packet" which includes Senior Center Handbook Policies & Procedures.
- The Annual Suggested Donation for Transportation is $30.
- A $3 donation fee per round trip is suggested and appreciated.
- Checks Made Payable to: Ellington Senior Center Transportation
Important Policy Reminders
Polices & Procedures
Our policies & procedures are detailed in the "Handbook & Operating Procedures for Senior Center Programs". In addition, listed below is a highlight of some of specific policies that pertain to transportation.
- Transportation services are for non-emergency medical appointments.
- All medical transportation requests must be reserved at least 2 weeks in advance.
- All requests for Senior Center activities should be made the week before (for scheduling purposes)
- A new Annual Registration Form must be completed (yearly) for updated information.
- We provide curb to curb service. All clients must be able to access and exit the vehicle at the street. Special assistance is not provided. If special assistance is needed, a companion or aide is required to accompany you at no additional charge.
- Riders must be ready 15 minutes prior to pick up time.
- Driveways and sidewalks must be kept clear of all obstacles and cleared of snow and ice, for your safety as well as our driver's safety.
- Riders must be mindful of the fact that pick up times can be delayed up to 15 minutes, depending on traffic, weather, etc. We will do our absolute best to make your appointment time.
- Please stay tuned to local television channels 3, 8, and 30 for up to date notices or weather delays. Transportation services follow the town calendar for holiday closings; please obtain the Senior Center's monthly newsletter, the "Maple Street Monthly" for more information.
Medical transportation appointments can be made by calling the transportation line a minimum of at least 2 weeks in advance. There is a first-come, first-served policy. We provide a limit of 5 appointments per day. One hour is allowed for standard medical appointments. A donation fee of $3 is appreciated for standard medical appointments.
Our transportation department must confirm and issue you a pick up time. You will be called between the hours of 9 a.m. - 10 a.m. the morning before your appointment. If your appointment can not be confirmed, your ride will be cancelled, no exceptions.
Let us help you with your groceries - we even help carry your bags in!
Big Y and Stop & Shop - Fridays - call for schedule
A limit of 1 hour and 15 minutes is allotted.